Sustainable Weekend Getaway
When visiting San Luis Obispo, it’s easy to remember to take care of the environment when surrounded by rolling green hills, vibrant birds, rustling oak and sycamore trees, monarch butterflies and crashing blue waves.
As gas prices increase and the cost of a plane ticket skyrockets, now is the perfect time to save your wallet and head to SLO for an eco-friendly, car-free getaway. San Luis Obispo’s SLO Car Free* discounts make it even easier to enjoy a green getaway. Skip the gas station and catch the train for a convenient, adventure-packed trip featuring 20% discounts on Amtrak® tickets as well as discounts on other eco-friendly restaurants, sustainable vacation ideas, and eco or environmental tours. The grass is greener in San Luis Obispo. Check out these activities and start planning your next sustainable vacation!
- Start your vacation by catching an Amtrak train and cruising down the Pacific Surfliner or San Joaquin to San Luis Obispo.
- Register for a free SLO Car Free membership.
- Whether it’s biking, carpooling, vanpooling, or taking the bus, Ride Share offers eco-friendly travel options that suit everyone.
Eat & Drink
- Grab your reusable shopping bag and browse the seasonal, fresh and organic produce from one of SLO’s Farmers’ Markets.
- Hop on your bike or a hotel shuttle and head out to wine country to enjoy a glass of organic wine from sustainable wineries like Tolosa Winery & Vineyards. Don’t forget to bring your goodies from Farmers’ Market too!
- When your sweet tooth kicks in, sample some delicious, fair trade Cal Poly Chocolates, available in Central Coast markets and on the Cal Poly's campus.
- Satisfy your taste buds at organic restaurants in the heart of Downtown, including Big Sky, Bliss Café and more.
- If you’re going for an all-inclusive dining experience, get a 10% discount off a Central Coast Food Tour where you’ll embark on a step-by-step, taste-by-taste adventure.
- Rent or bring a bike and get acquainted with the charming town of San Luis Obispo. Explore bike trails such as the newly paved three-quarter-mile Madonna Inn Bike Path and the Railroad Bicycle Trail for an up-close and personal tour.
- No trip to San Luis Obispo is complete without a stop at the beach. Throw on your sunnies and catch some rays.
- Don’t forget to fit in a movie at the nation’s original solar-powered movie theatre, the Palm Theatre.
- Check out SLO’s eco-friendly boutiques like Bamboo Batu and the Hemp Shack.
- If you just can’t get enough of SLO’s nature scene, enjoy a 10% discount on a Central Coast Outdoors tour and explore the outdoors with a guided bike, hike, or kayak tour!
* SLO Car Free is a cooperative partnership initiated and led by the San Luis Obispo County Air Pollution Control District. To receive discounts on train fares as well as on dining, lodging and other car-free activities in San Luis Obispo, CA, simply register for a free SLO Car-Free membership.
- Que Pasa! Downtow...March 4
- Que Pasa! Downtow...July 8
- Que Pasa! Downtow...December 25
- Que Pasa! Downtow...May 20