Festival Mozaic, July 24-Aug 4
Have you ever experienced the world-class music of Mozart and Bach? Immerse yourself in the arts this summer at Festival Mozaic, taking place throughout San Luis Obispo from July 24–August 4. For nearly 49 years, Festival Mozaic has presented live musical experiences to the Central Coast at remarkable locations ranging from Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa to the Dana Adobe Cultural Center in Nipomo.
With a unique mix of styles, from the Chamber and Orchestra series to the crossover sounds of the UnClassical Series, Festival Mozaic features over 25 musical events throughout the two-week festival.
FESTIVAL MOZAIC EVENTS
This summer, experience six unique events in addition to free community concerts, open rehearsals, pre-concert lectures and more.
Expose yourself to Festival Mozaic’s internationally-renowned roster at the intimate Chamber Series, featuring compositions from Mozart, Schulhoff, Haydn, Mendelssohn, Amy Beach and more.
- July 25 | Opening Night Concert
- July 28 | European World Music
- August 2 | Silver and Gold
- August 4 | Scott Yoo & Friends
This series provides musical works of art performed by the nation’s top orchestras, with the brilliant and dynamic Scott Yoo as the Music Director. Artists who’ve performed in the Orchestra Series include St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, San Diego Symphony, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Baltimore Symphony and many more.
- July 27 | Baroque in the Vines
- July 29 | Resplendent Baroque
- July 31 | Mozart in the Mission
- August 3 | Spanish Flair
The UnClassical Series brings the precision of classical training to innovative, contemporary styles like jazz, folk, and experimental rock. Whether experiencing a high-energy ensemble at See Canyon Fruit Ranch or some toe-tapping tunes in the Clark Center for Performing Arts in Arroyo Grande, these genre-hopping performances promise both variety and spontaneity.
These interactive events blend together charismatic performances with rich discussions led by the musicians. During Festival Mozaic’s Notable Encounters, musicians take you “behind the score” as the artists bring the musical performance to life, allowing you to truly appreciate the performances in a fun, social setting. These 1-hour programs delve into what to listen for, and how to better understand individual pieces.
- July 24 | Ravel’s Iberian Influence
- July 27 | Bartók’s Synthesis of East & West
- July 30 | Chopin’s Cello Sonata
- Aug 4 | Brahms in the Gypsy Style
In partnership with San Luis Obispo Youth Symphony and the Cal Poly Music Department, Festival Mozaic offers free master classes to youth in San Luis Obispo for an informative and fun experience. Youth musicians will be instructed by the talented performers from this year’s Festival Mozaic.
- July 25 | Piano with John Novacek
- July 26 | Flamenco Workshop
- July 30 | Clarinet with Anton Rist
- August 2 | Guitar with Robert Belinić
Relish in delicious eats and award-winning music during the Culinary Events series with everything from casual picnics in the courtyard to lavish dinners.
- July 24 | Notable Encounter Dinner: Ravel’s Iberian Influence
- July 27 | Notable Encounter Lunch: Bartók’s Synthesis of East & West
- July 31 | Benefit Dinner in Mission Plaza Fundraiser
- August 2 | Backstage Breakfast, Tour & Rehearsal
- August 4 | Notable Encounter: Brunch Brahms in the Gypsy Style
In these laid-back mini-concerts, Festival artists will be playing hour-long sets with “pay what you wish” pricing. Reservations are required.
- July 24 | Susan Cahill Bass Recital
- July 29 | Family Concert: Carnival of the Animals
- July 31 | Premiers by Michael Fine
- Aug 1 | Grace Park Violin Recital
- Aug 3 | Serious Mozart, Fun(ny) Beethoven
Toast of the Coast
We invite you to explore San Luis Obispo’s Wine Country with Festival Mozaic. From July 24–August 4, 2019, present your Festival ticket or ticket stub to the following sponsors for special discounts on tastings and wine purchases.
- Ancient Peaks Winery | Santa Margarita
- Cass Winery | Paso Robles
- Claiborne & Churchill | San Luis Obispo
- Chamisal Vineyards | San Luis Obispo
- Halter Ranch | Paso Robles
- Kiamie Wine Cellars | Paso Robles
- Kynsi Winery | Arroyo Grande
- Lone Madrone | Paso Robles
- Summerwood Winery & Inn | Paso Robles
- Tablas Creek Vineyard | Paso Robles
- Vina Robles | Paso Robles
Festival Mozaic is ideal for those visiting San Luis Obispo to experience world-class music and arts. Hear about our past experiences at Festival Mozaic from the Fringe Series’ Portland Cello Project to Festival Mozaic Family Concert, and get a taste of what’s to come.
THINGS TO DO IN SAN LUIS OBISPO
Looking for more things to do when visiting San Luis Obispo? Enjoy these endless activities right here along the Central Coast.
- Attend a Thursday Night Farmers’ Market in Downtown SLO for delicious eats and a lively atmosphere.
- Bask in the sunshine while relaxing at the beach or kayaking in Morro Bay.
- Sip your way through Edna Valley while traveling along a wine trail or experience SLO’s craft beer scene.
- Immerse yourself in San Luis Obispo’s history by touring Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa or Dallidet Adobe & Gardens.
- Grab a bite to eat at a local restaurant, featuring farm-to-table plates and innovative drink concoctions.
To purchase tickets, get more information and view a full schedule of events, visit the Festival Mozaic website today.