Festival Mozaic, July 17-29
Have you ever experienced the world-class music of Mozart and Bach? Immerse yourself in the arts this summer at Festival Mozaic, taking place throughout San Luis Obispo from July 17 – July 29. For over 45 years, Festival Mozaic has presented live musical experiences to the Central Coast at remarkable locations ranging from Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa to the Dana Adobe Cultural Center in Nipomo.
With a unique mix of styles, from the Chamber and Orchestra series to the crossover sounds of the UnClassical Series, Festival Mozaic features over 25 musical events throughout the two-week festival.
FESTIVAL MOZAIC EVENTS
This summer, experience six unique events in addition to free community concerts, open rehearsals, pre-concert lectures and more.
Expose yourself to Festival Mozaic’s internationally-renowned roster at the intimate Chamber Series, featuring compositions from Mozart, Schulhoff, Haydn, Mendelssohn, Amy Beach and more.
- American Music | July 20 at United Methodist Church
- Classical Reflections | July 24 at Congregation Beth David
- Mozart to Modernity | July 27 at Cuesta College Cultural & Performing Arts Center
- Scott Yoo and Friends | July 29 at Cuesta College Cultural & Performing Arts Center
This series provides musical works of art performed by the nation’s top orchestras, with the brilliant and dynamic Scott Yoo as the Music Director. Artists who’ve performed in the Orchestra Series include St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, San Diego Symphony, Los Angeles Philharmonic, Baltimore Symphony and many more.
- Baroque in the Vines | July 21 at Serra Chapel
- Baroque in the Mission | July 23 at Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa
- Mozart in Mission San Miguel | July 25 at Mission San Miguel Arcángel
- Music Without Borders | July 28 at Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa
The UnClassical Series brings the precision of classical training to innovative, contemporary styles like jazz, folk, and experimental rock. Whether experiencing a high-energy ensemble at See Canyon Fruit Ranch or some toe-tapping tunes in the Clark Center for Performing Arts in Arroyo Grande, these genre-hopping performances promise both variety and spontaneity.
- Around the World With Love | July 17 at Clark Center
- Harpeth Rising | July 19 at Dana Adobe Cultural Center
- 9 Horses | July 22 at See Canyon Fruit Ranch
- Christopher O’Riley Plays Radiohead | Jul 26 at Cuesta College Cultural & Performing Arts Center
These interactive events blend together charismatic performances with rich discussions led by the musicians. During Festival Mozaic’s Notable Encounters, musicians take you “behind the score” as the artists bring the musical performance to life, allowing you to truly appreciate the performances in a fun, social setting. These 1-hour programs delve into what to listen for, and how to better understand individual pieces.
- Dinner: Love Songs | July 18 at Falkenhagen Residence, Corbett Canyon
- Dinner: Women in Music | July 22 at Villa Filaree, Arroyo Grande
- Insight: On Stage with Bruch | July 27 at Cuesta College and Performing Arts Center
- Brunch: A Joyful Noise | July 29 at Dallidet Adobe & Gardens, SLO
In partnership with San Luis Obispo Youth Symphony and the Cal Poly Music Department, Festival Mozaic offers free master classes to youth in San Luis Obispo for an informative and fun experience. Youth musicians will be instructed by the talented performers from this year’s Festival Mozaic.
- Flute Master Class with Alice Dade | July 24 at the HP Davidson Music Building at Cal Poly
- Improvisation Workshop with Susan Cahill and Jon Wilkerson | July 25 at the Paso Robles Youth Arts Foundation
- Violin Master Class with Grace Park | July 28 at the Cuesta College and Performing Arts Center Experimental Theater
Relish in delicious eats and award-winning music during the Culinary Events series with everything from casual picnics in the courtyard to lavish dinners.
- Benefit Dinner at Mission San Miguel | July 25 at Parish Hall, Mission San Miguel
- Picnic in the Courtyard | July 27 at Cuesta College Courtyard
In these laid-back mini-concerts, Festival artists will be playing hour-long sets with “pay what you wish” pricing. Reservations are required.
- 9 Horses & Josh Brent | July 20 at St Timothy’s Catholic Church, Morro Bay
- Dvorak American Quartet | July 21 at Santa Rosa Catholic Church, Cambria
- Family Concert with Francis Poulenc and John Novacek | July 23 at the Performing Arts Center Pavilion
- Nina Fan Violin Recital with John Novacek, Piano | July 26 at Community Church of Atascadero
Toast of the Coast
We invite you to explore San Luis Obispo’s Wine Country with Festival Mozaic. From July 17-29, present your Festival ticket or ticket stub to the following sponsors for special discounts on tastings and wine purchases.
- Cass Winery | Paso Robles
- Claiborne & Churchill | San Luis Obispo
- Halter Ranch | Paso Robles
- Kiamie Wine Cellars | Paso Robles
- Kynsi Winery | Arroyo Grande
- Lone Madrone | Paso Robles
- Sculpterra | Paso Robles
- Summerwood Winery & Inn | Paso Robles
- Tablas Creek Vineyard | Paso Robles
- Vina Robles | Paso Robles
Festival Mozaic is ideal for those visiting San Luis Obispo to experience world-class music and arts. Hear about our past experiences at Festival Mozaic from the Fringe Series’ Portland Cello Project to Festival Mozaic Family Concert, and get a taste of what’s to come.
THINGS TO DO IN SAN LUIS OBISPO
Looking for more things to do when visiting San Luis Obispo? Enjoy these endless activities right here along the Central Coast.
- Attend a Thursday Night Farmers’ Market in Downtown SLO for delicious eats and a lively atmosphere.
- Bask in the sunshine while relaxing at the beach or kayaking in Morro Bay.
- Sip your way through Edna Valley while traveling along a wine trail or experience SLO’s craft beer scene.
- Immerse yourself in San Luis Obispo’s history by touring Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa or Dallidet Adobe & Gardens.
- Grab a bite to eat at a local restaurant, featuring farm-to-table plates and innovative drink concoctions.
To purchase tickets, get more information and view a full schedule of events, visit the Festival Mozaic website today.