San Luis Obispo is paradise for mountain bikers, cyclists and recreational bike riders, alike! With all levels of urban bike paths and mountain biking trails, you don’t need to be a pro to enjoy biking in San Luis Obispo.
National races like the AMGEN Tour of California have been held in the city and county. In fact, annual events like Giro Della Costa Centrale, a breathtaking tour of SLO County’s coast and wine country backroads, and Eroica California, an internationally renowned cycling event, attracts participation of both professionals and amateurs.
With numerous well-marked bike routes within historic Downtown San Luis Obispo and all the way out to Morro Bay, you can travel car free while vacationing to the Central Coast. Check out SLO Car Free for attractions, itineraries and tips on how to get to and around San Luis Obispo.
Surrounded by rolling hills and vineyards and minutes from pristine beaches, San Luis Obispo offers a multitude of scenic bike rides. The San Luis Obispo Bicycle Club has detailed information on many popular road biking routes—from 10 mile circuits to more challenging 100-mile rides, such as these listed below.
Bike SLO County, a lively cycling and bike-commuting group in San Luis Obispo, can be seen at several local events such as Bike Month in May and the monthly “Bike Happening,” commonly known as Bike Night SLO. Following Farmers’ Market on the first Thursday of every month, Bike Night SLO brings hundreds of cheery, costumed cyclists to downtown – a local favorite. May through August, families and friends participate in the Kidical Mass, a family-friendly bike happening that teaches kids of all ages the safety of riding as they parade to Farmers’ Market in their costumes. Also, be sure to use the free bike valet service offered at San Luis Obispo Farmers’ Market, Concerts in the Plaza, and other local events.
- Madonna Inn Bike Path – a paved bike path connecting visitors to Downtown San Luis Obispo
- Bill Roalman Bike Boulevard – a street that discourages vehicle traffic with preference to urban cyclists
- Railroad Bicycle Trail – a flat, traffic-free route from Cal Poly University, through downtown to the southern city limit
- Bob Jones City to Sea Trail – a trail along the San Luis Obispo Creek that ends in Downtown Avila Beach
City to the Sea
Transition from city streets to scenic country roads and coastal highways on this unique ride. City to the Sea ride is roughly 68-mile ride from Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa to Pismo Beach, Avila Beach, Los Osos, Morro Bay and back. Add to Itinerary
San Luis Obispo to Ragged Point
Ragged Point stands as one of San Luis Obispo County’s treasures and must-see landmark in Big Sur. Embarking on a 114-mile round-trip journey, determined cyclists can ride from San Luis Obispo to Ragged Point and experience the classic Highway 1 from a unique perspective. Add to Itinerary
San Luis Obispo Mountain Biking Trails
The picturesque foothills that encircle San Luis Obispo provide endless opportunities for challenging, scenic mountain biking rides. Grab your bike and explore these suggested San Luis Obispo mountain biking rides.
Annual San Luis Obispo Cycling Events
- Tour of Paso – March
- Eroica California – April
- Wildflower Century – April
- AMGEN Tour of California – May
- Central Coast Double Century – May
- Great Western Bicycle Rally – May
- Country Coast Classic – June
- Annual SLO Triathlon – July
- Central Coast Classique – September
- The Best Buddies Challenge: Hearst Castle – September
- Lighthouse Century – September
- AMGEN California Coast Classic Bicycle Tour – September
- SLO GranFondo – October
- Wine and Roses Bike Race – October
San Luis Obispo Hotels with Complimentary Bikes and Rentals
San Luis Obispo Bike Shops
- Art’s Cyclery
- Cambria Bicycle Outfitter
- Dynamic Electric Vehicles
- Flanders Bicycle
- Foothill Cyclery
- San Luis Obispo Bike Kitchen
- SLO Bike & Run
- Wally’s Bicycle Works