Yoga Centers in San Luis Obispo
On vacation but want to stay active?
Sometimes the winter weather puts a damper on all of the outdoor recreation that San Luis Obispo has to offer like hiking, rock climbing, golfing and more… So, what should you do instead? I recommend checking out yoga!
The abundant number of yoga studios in San Luis Obispo allows visitors many opportunities to explore their yoga practice. Our local studios align with the laid-back vibe of the Central Coast, which makes SLO the perfect place for budding yogis (of any level) to test the waters. Yoga can help you refine your mental focus, rid your system of toxins, and if you keep up your practice beyond your stay in San Luis Obispo, you might be able to touch your toes some day!
Spark Yoga is my go-to spot if I need a good yoga flow or just want to unwind in a restorative yoga class. I love the heated yoga aspect and the variety of classes that Spark offers. They have amazing instructors that help guide all their students through the poses and keep things lively with the best jams. I enjoy practicing yoga because it’s a great workout that also improves my flexibility, and forces me to unplug from texts, calls and emails for 60 minutes, which doesn’t hurt either.
For me, the best part of yoga is that you use the weight of your own body to build and strengthen your muscles. You don’t need anything other than your mat and yourself!
Yoga allows you to get the same muscle-building benefits by performing long, extended push-ups, squats, and leg lifts. The results are well-worked muscle groups, which get stronger with each class.
Another common practice in most yoga classes is to set an intention for the session or in some other part of your life. This is a great time to remind yourself to relax, wind down and focus on yourself. You are on vacation after all…
San Luis Obispo Yoga Centers
If you are interested in exploring yoga during your stay in SLO, you should check out one of our centers:
Bikram Yoga of San Luis Obispo
Bikram Yoga of SLO conducts classes in a heated room, which helps detoxify the body through perspiration and tones the muscles. Whatever your age, injury or prior yoga experience (if any at all), this yoga will benefit your body and mind in ways you never imagined possible!
- Website: bikramyogaslo.com
- Address: 570 Higuera St #195, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
- Phone: 805.545.5951
SLO Yoga Center
Located in Downtown San Luis Obispo, SLO Yoga Center offers a wide variety of classes that promote the beneficial practice of yoga, whether you are in search of restorative yoga to assist with injury rehabilitation, a physical workout to build strength and flexibility, or relaxation after a stressful day.
- Website: sloyogacenter.com
- Address: 672 Higuera St #200, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
- Phone: (805) 598-7100
Smiling Dog Yoga
Smiling Dog focuses classes on therapeutic, holistic and integrated yoga practices that are strong and challenging. They offer a variety of yoga classes each week in a serene and welcoming space.
- Website: www.smilingdogyoga.com
- Address: 1227 Archer St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
- Phone: (805) 546-9100
Spark Yoga offers a range of classes including Hatha, Vinyasa Flow, Power Sequence and Restorative Yoga. Other classes include Sculpt, Barre and Hot Pilates. The heat factor is a bonus as it increases blood circulation and opens muscles safely and more quickly.
- Website: www.smileatspark.com
- Address: 977 E Foothill Blvd #111, San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
- Phone: (805) 439-1848
Yoga Shala is a boutique yoga studio in San Luis Obispo with classes that are personalized and taught to the needs of each student. This studio specializes in Shadow Yoga, but also offers Hatha Yoga classes, classes for beginners and Restorative Yoga.
- Website: yogashalaslo.com
- Address: 2074 Parker St #100, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
- Phone: (805) 556-0413
Yoga Church is a unique combination of restorative (gentle and kind) yoga with a powerful, non-denominational inspirational message.
- Website: yogachurch.com
- Address: 6615 Bay Laurel Pl Avila Beach, CA 93424
- Phone: (805) 439-4144
Tips from a local
- Bring a water bottle, mat and towel (though most centers do have those items available for purchase or rent).
- Since you are likely new to the center, it’s best if you arrive 10-15 minutes early before the class. It’s also recommended to pre-register for classes, if possible.
- Wear comfortable, stretchy clothing that you can sweat and move in.
- If you’ve never done yoga before, it’s recommended that you try a few beginner classes first to learn the postures and alignment. At all times, honor your body and practice today so that you can practice again tomorrow!