California Wine Country Vacation Ideas
Nestled between San Francisco and Los Angeles is the Central Coast’s wine country, home to world-class wine and scenic landscapes just a few miles from the Pacific Ocean. San Luis Obispo’s charming Downtown offers California wine country cuisine and a hospitable community that will make you feel right at home.
A variety of annual San Luis Obispo wine festivals and events including winery tours, wine tasting, blending seminars, barrel tastings and winemaker dinners, provide the perfect focal points for planning wine vacations throughout the year.
Planning Your Trip to San Luis Obispo Wineries
San Luis Obispo Wine Country is filled with artisan vintners and family-owned wineries. Feel free to browse the printable San Luis Obispo Winery Map of Edna Valley wineries to get the lay of the land. Local wine country shuttles are available for tours and transportation. Additionally, Uber offers a special program for San Luis Obispo wineries known as UberWINE, allowing you to request a personal driver to stay with you while winetasting in San Luis Obispo.
Feel free to check individual winery websites about special offerings and events they have planned. Additionally, with an assortment of annual wine events and festivals, plan your San Luis Obispo Wine Country tour around one of those featured below.
Annual San Luis Obispo Wine Festivals and Events
- January: Esprit du Vin Wine Fest, Paso Robles
- January: Cayucos Wine and Food Festival, Cayucos
- January: Art & Wine Festival, Cambria
- March: Zinfandel Festival, Paso Robles
- April: Earth Day Wine & Food Festival, San Luis Obispo
- April: Cal Poly Wine Festival, San Luis Obispo
- April - May: Wine, Waves and Beyond, San Luis Obispo & Pismo Beach
- April - May: Roll Out the Barrels Wine Festival, San Luis Obispo
- May: Wine Festival, Paso Robles
- May: Flavor of SLO, San Luis Obispo
- June: Wine Festival, Atascadero
- August: Central Coast Wine Classic, San Luis Obispo
- August: Winemaker Cook-off, Paso Robles
- September: California Wine Month
- October: Harvest Wine Season
- October: Harvest Wine Weekend, Paso Robles
- October: CRAVE Wine Event, Paso Robles
- November: Harvest Wine Season
- November: Harvest On the Coast, San Luis Obispo
Bike Tour through Edna Valley Wineries
Grab your bike and helmet for a self-led tour of sustainable Edna Valley wineries. Start by wine tasting at Claiborne & Churchill, who also host live music on Friday nights at their summer event known as Sips and Songs. Pick up lunch from the deli at Old Edna to power your through your next wine tasting. Then, mosey over to Wolff Vineyards and enjoy a picnic in the tasting garden. Finally, visit Talley Vineyards for your final wine tasting of the day and recharge on the hillside grounds before heading back to San Luis Obispo.