California Wine Country Vacation Ideas
Nestled between San Francisco and Los Angeles, San Luis Obispo wine country is home to world-class wine and scenic landscapes just a few miles from the Pacific Ocean. San Luis Obispo’s charming downtown offers California wine country cuisine and a hospitable community that will make you feel right at home.
A variety of annual San Luis Obispo wine festivals and events provide the perfect focal points for planning wine vacations throughout the year. From special winery tours and blending seminars to barrel tastings and wine tasting events, San Luis Obispo offers one-of-a-kind experience paired with award-winning wines.
Planning Your Trip to San Luis Obispo Wineries
San Luis Obispo wine country is filled with artisan vintners and family-owned wineries. Feel free to browse the printable San Luis Obispo Winery Map, listing out Edna Valley wineries and their location so you can get the lay of the land.
Unsure of where to start? Explore our complete list of San Luis Obispo wineries to get a taste of their specialties and ambiance. If you’re looking for a local’s perspective, check out Andie’s top wineries in SLO and Avrah’s favorite off-the-beaten-path wineries, recently featured on our #ShareSLO Blog.
Local wine country shuttles are available for tours and transportation, but recommend booking in advance to ensure the vendors can accommodate your party. Additionally, Uber offers a special program for San Luis Obispo wineries known as UberWINE, allowing you to request a personal driver to stay with you while winetasting throughout San Luis Obispo and Edna Valley.
With an assortment of annual wine events and festivals, plan your San Luis Obispo wine country tour around one of those featured below. To discover other special offerings and seasonal events, browse individual winery websites and start planning your trip to San Luis Obispo today.
Annual San Luis Obispo Wine Festivals and Events
- January: Cayucos Wine and Food Festival, Cayucos
- January: Art & Wine Festival, Cambria
- March: Vintage Paso: Zinfandel Festival, Paso Robles
- May: Wine Festival, Paso Robles
- May: Flavor of SLO, San Luis Obispo
- June: Roll Out the Barrels, San Luis Obispo
- June: Wine, Waves and Beyond, San Luis Obispo & Pismo Beach
- June: Wine Festival, Atascadero
- August: Central Coast Wine Classic, San Luis Obispo
- August: Winemaker Cook-off, Paso Robles
- September: California Wine Month
- October: Harvest Wine Season
- October: Harvest Wine Weekend, Paso Robles
- October: CRAVE Wine Event, Paso Robles
- November: Harvest Wine Season
- November: Harvest on the Coast, San Luis Obispo
Bike Tour through Edna Valley Wineries
Grab your bike and helmet for a self-led tour of sustainable Edna Valley wineries. Start by wine tasting at Claiborne & Churchill, who also host live music on Friday nights at their summer event known as Sips and Songs. Pick up lunch from the deli at Old Edna to power your through your next wine tasting. Then, mosey over to Wolff Vineyards and enjoy a picnic in the tasting garden. Finally, visit Talley Vineyards for your final wine tasting of the day and recharge on the hillside grounds before heading back to San Luis Obispo.